About the cemetery
Friedhöfe vor dem Halleschen Tor can be traced back to a paupers’ cemetery in 1735.
In terms of its cultural history, it has become the most significant burial site in West Berlin.
Among the most beautiful works of art are the heads of two women by the “Art Nouveau” sculptor Ignatz Taschner. They decorate the gravestones of the landscape painter Karl Wilhelm Bennewitz von Loefen and his wife.
The Friedhöfe vor dem Halleschen Tor includes a total of twenty-two famous graves, among them the poets E.T.A. Hoffmann and Adelbert von Chamisso, the architects David Gilly and Georg Wenzeslaus von Knobelsdorff, the composer Jakob Ludwig Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy, his sister Fanny Hensel, his parents and other family members and many others.