From 1945 to 1991, the Yugoslav National Army was stationed in Ljubljana in several barracks: Tabor, Roška Street, Bežigrad in Central Ljubljana, in Šentvid, Polje and Prule. Ljubljana was initially the headquarters of 4th armada of the Yugoslav Army, then the 10th armada of the Yugoslav Army, then from 1969 to 1987 the command headquarters of the 9th armada of the Yugoslav People’s Army, and between 1987 and 1991 the seat of the 14th Corps HQ.
In the City’s barracks, numerous military units of several types were stationed: infantry, armoured and artillery, with soldiers from all then-Yugoslav republics on their military service (all units had to be of mixed national background).
Ljubljana was also one of the centres for military support infrastructure. During the entire period until Slovenia’s independence in 1991, the Army operated its Military Hospital (in the Mladika building and in Moste), where all military personnel and relatives of the employees of Yugoslav People’s Army received medical treatment. In the first few years after the War, military personnel who died in the aforementioned Hospital were buried at the municipal cemetery of Žale in accordance with the legal provisions of the time.