Serbian Ossuary
Serbian Ossuary and Monument to the Defenders of Belgrade 1914-1918 were built from 1928 to 1931.
The Serbian Ossuary and Monument to Belgrade Defenders 1914-1918, designed by the Russian architect and sculptor Roman Verhovskoy, were built from 1928 to 1931, within the area of the Serbian Military Cemetery (present day central section of the New Cemetery), at initiative of the Association of the Reserve War Officers and Soldiers and with the support of the Belgrade Municipality. The statue of a soldier with the rifle was made by the Sculptor Živojin Lukić, whereas the sculpture of the fallen eagle on the flags is a work of the Designer of the whole complex Roman Verhovskoy.
There were 3.529 identified and 1.074 unidentified soldiers killed in the course the Balkans Wars and WWI who were laid to rest in the Ossuary beneath the monument.
Location
Get QR code
    Events