Marangoni Monument, 1924
Gallery of the 9th Cloister, south wing
In this great group of bronze sculptures the Art Nouveau elements of previous works by the artist give way to contemporary classical style, made through simple and highly statuesque forms. The combination of different materials for decorative purposes is evident here in the contrasting use of dark bronze for the sculpture and the mosaic on a blue background.
Sculptor and entrepreneur, Mario Sarto (1885-1955) became artistic director of the company Davide Venturi & Figlio in Bologna before opening his own production studio nearby, in the area now occupied by Dall'Ara Stadium. Particularly well known as a cemetery sculptor, Sarto made more than 60 works for Certosa, becoming a figure of reference for the new urban middle class.